Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Challenges

Tosca turns 14 weeks this coming Thursday. Our main focus these days is socialization and engagement. She is coming along beautifully and we are trying to do as much as possible together so that she will hopefully grow up to be a savvy and relaxed dog.

Tosca and Bella outside

So far our socialization has taken us to the following places and situations:

Walked down the main shopping street.
Met dogs for an off-leash walk.
Went to stores that allow dogs.
Been outside playing when kids are on their way to school/kindergarten.
Tried our footing on playground equipment.
Been to a public park during low-traffic.

I hope to add to that list all sorts of different things as we go along. I go with the theory that socialization is about us being able to go to all sorts of different places and concentrate on work or play with distraction. I do allow people to approach or pet her if they ask as long as I see that she's not feeling intimidated by the strangers.

Although I do own another dog (the soon-to-be 4 year old Border Terrier Bella) I do almost all of Tosca's socialization without my other dog. Bella is insecure and dog reactive so I do not want her to negatively influence Tosca at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment